Transfer FAQs

Transfer FAQs

How do I decide which college or university will be the best for me?

Does the college or university have your major? 
Learn about what you can study at Mansfield University!

Will your earned credits transfer well?
Learn about Transfer Credits at Mansfield University!

Is the institution affordable?
Examine Mansfield University's affordable tuition and payment options.

Is the college or university regionally and/or nationally accredited?
Mansfield University and its academic programs are accredited by various regional or national organizations that are recognized by The Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). View our accreditations.

When is the best time to transfer?

Mansfield University maintains a rolling admission policy, but encourages students to apply sooner rather than later. Our academic programs are highly competitive and various academic programs reach capacity annually. Allow yourself enough time to complete the financial aid processes, have your transfer credits processed, and secure an academic schedule for the classes you need and want.

FALL ENROLLMENT: We recommend that you apply in January/February.

SPRING ENROLLMENT: We recommend that you apply in September/October.

What grade point average do I need to transfer to Mansfield University?

Mansfield University requires students to have earned a minimum 2.0 GPA to be considered for acceptance. Some academic programs require a higher GPA (please view requirements below; information is subject to change at any time).

Education: minimum 3.0 GPA

Nursing: minimum 2.7 GPA

Nutrition/Dietetics & Sports Nutrition: minimum 2.7 GPA

Social Work: minimum 2.5 GPA

Radiology & Respiratory Therapy: minimum 2.7 GPA

What should I request when setting up an appointment with my personal Transfer Counselor at Mansfield University?

  1. Request an evaluation of your transfer credits.
  2. Request an academic department meeting with a professor from your academic area of interest.
  3. Request a tour of campus.

How do I apply? What do I need? How do I get that?

In addition to submitting your transfer admission application and $25.00 application fee, the following credentials are required and should be forwarded to the Mansfield University Office of Admissions:

  • Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions (colleges/universities) that you have attended.
  • The $25.00 application fee is waived if you have obtained your Associate's Degree.
  • If you have earned less than 31 credits at your post-secondary institution(s), we also request that you send in your high school transcript and SAT scores. SAT scores will only be requested from students under 21 years of age, or if you have graduated from high school within the past two years.
  • If you attended a community college and were not required to take the SAT and/or ACT, we will not require them.
  • To obtain your official college transcript(s), contact each institution and have the transcript sent directly from their office.
    Most institutions allow you to request your transcript online from their webpage.

When do I start looking for a transfer school?

Ideally, you should start looking for a four-year school when you start your first semester at your two-year institution.

Mansfield University is happy to communicate with you throughout your semesters at your two-year institution to ensure a smooth transition of transfer credits.

Do I need an Associate's Degree to transfer?

No, an Associate's Degree is not required to transfer to Mansfield University.

How many credits does it take to transfer?

There is no minimum number of credits required to transfer to Mansfield University.

How do I know if I'm taking the right courses?

Regular communication with your intended four-year institution and guidance from your current academic advisor is highly recommended.

How do I know which courses will transfer to Mansfield University?

As an "Accepted" transfer student, you will receive a transfer evaluation of your completed credits within two weeks of your acceptance letter.

Not Applied Yet? Our Transfer Coordinators offer an unofficial evaluation of your transfer credits. To take advantage of this free service, click here.

PA TRAC offers course equivalencies for several two-year and four-year institutions in the state of Pennsylvania.

Does your college accept the Associate Degree in place of your general education core requirement?

For our partner two-year institutions, we comply with the PASSHE program-to-program transfer, where students with an associate's degree at one of the two-year institutions may enter Mansfield's parallel degree program with full junior status.

To view these programs, visit PA TRAC.

Will your college provide me with an "unofficial" evaluation of my transferable credits before sending in my application?

Yes. You can gain an "unofficial" evaluation by sending your unofficial transcript(s) to Amy Smith at Please include the academic major you are interested in transferring into and identify that you are requesting an "unofficial evaluation of transfer credits." Unofficial Transfer Credit Evaluation

What is the possibility of transfer students living on campus?

Housing is guaranteed! Transfer Students are afforded the same on-campus privileges as first-year students. We currently offer brand new suite-style housing.

View our housing options online.

Once I apply, how long will it be before I hear about acceptance and I am told how many credits will transfer into my academic program?

Once all of your required transcripts are received, acceptance is determined within a week. Your transfer evaluation will arrive via postal service within a week of your acceptance letter.

What is the name and phone number of a Transfer Counselor with whom I can speak directly?

Amy Smith is your Personal Transfer Counselor. She can be reached via phone at (570) 662-4408, or via email at

How can I visit your campus? Are there specific open house dates for transfer students?

  • Mansfield University hosts a variety of visit opportunities to best suit your needs. Please check out our Visit Day and Transfer Open House dates at this link:
  • Check your community college's schedule to see when Mansfield will be at your Transfer Fair.
  • Individual Visit: Appointments daily at 1:15 p.m., Monday through Friday. Click here to schedule a date!
  • For questions, please contact Amy Smith at

If accepted, will someone assist me in mapping out my course schedule and degree requirements?

The first semester, you will receive a schedule that is made for you by our Registrar based on major, transfer credits, and class availability. If you have special scheduling needs, you may make them known to the Registrar. *The Registrar makes all efforts to accommodate your special needs, i.e. commuter scheduling, work shifts, family obligations, etc.

After the first semester, you will have the opportunity to schedule yourself, with advisement from your academic advisor.

With regards to my major, does the college offer internships?

Internships are an important part of your educational experience at Mansfield University. Many students have participated in outstanding internships, including opportunities with the FBI, ESPN, and DEP, to name only a few.

Talk with your Mansfield advisor, and seek assistance from our Career Center.

Do you give credits for "Prior Learning?"

Although Mansfield University does not give credits for "Prior Learning," we do offer the CLEP tests as a means of gaining credit for such experience.

To view a list of CLEP tests that we offer, as well as their MU course equivalencies, click on the link.

Students may seek Prior Learning Credit through CAEL (Council for Adult and Experiential Learning). Mansfield University will gladly accept transcripts from CAEL based on course portfolios that you establish through them. This link will direct you to their site for more information:

Do you offer "Instant Admission Decisions?"

Yes! If you provide your completed application, $25 application fee (if applicable), and transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you've attended, we can make an Admissions Decision on the spot!

Exceptions include certain majors that require additional eligibility: Art, Music, Nursing, and Radiology and Respiratory Therapy.